Our laboratory is involved in several aspects of the biology of germ cells, neurons and cancer cells. The major interests are centered around the regulation of the post-transcriptional control of gene expression by signal transduction pathways. In particular, we aim at studying the regulation of mRNA processing by RNA-binding proteins whose activity is modulated by serine/threonine and tyrosine kinases, and to understand their role in cell differentiation processes underlying development and disease. The laboratory is also focused in developing biological drugs to interfere with the function of proteins in pathological situations.
- Bianchi, E., Barbagallo, F., Valeri, C., Geremia, R., Palustri, A., De Felici, M., Sette, C. (2010). Ablation of the Sam68 gene impairs fertilità and gonadotropin-dependent follicle development. Human Molecular Genetics (in press).
- Valacca, C., Bonomi, S., Buratti, E., Pedrotti, S., Baralle, F.E., Sette, C., Ghigna, C., Biamonti, G. (2010). Sam68 regulates EMT through alternative splicing-activated nonsense-mediated mRNA decay of the SF2/ASF proto-oncogene. Journal of Cell Biology 191, 87-99.
- Pedrotti, S., Sette, C. (2010). Spinal Muscular Atrophy: a novel player joins the battle for SMN2 exon 7 splicing. Cell Cycle 9, 3874-9.
- Busà, R., Sette, C. (2010). An emerging role for nuclear RNA-mediated responses to genotoxic stress. RNA Biology 17, 7(4).
- Pedrotti, S., Bielli, P., Paronetto, M.P., Ciccosanti, F., Fimia, G.M., Stamm, S., Manley, J.L., Sette, C. (2010). The splicing regulator Sam68 binds to a novel exonic splicing silencer and functions in SMN2 alternative splicing in spinal muscular atrophy. EMBO Journal 29, 1235-47.
- Busà, R., Geremia, R., Sette, C. (2010). Genotoxic stress causes the accumulation of the splicing regulator Sam68 in nuclear foci of transcriptionally active chromatin. Nucleic Acids Research 38, 3005-18.
- Paronetto, M.P., Cappellari, M., Busà, R., Pedrotti, S., Vitali, R., Comstock, C., Hyslop, T., Knudsen, K.E., Sette, C. (2010). Alternative splicing of the proto-oncogene CCND1 is regulated by Sam68 in human prostate cancer. Cancer Research 70, 229-39.
- Paronetto, M.P., Sette, C. (2010). Role of RNA-binding proteins in mammalian spermatogenesis. International Journal of Andrology 33, 2-12.
- Paronetto, M.P., Messina, V., Bianchi, E., Barchi, M., Vogel, G., Moretti, C., Palombi, F., Stefanini, M., Geremia, R., Richard, S., Sette, C. (2009). Sam68 regulates translation of target mRNAs in male germ cells, necessary for mouse spermatogenesis. Journal of Cell Biology 185, 235-49.
- Bianchini, A., Loiarro, M., Bielli, P., Busà, R., Paronetto, M.P., Loreni, F., Geremia, R., Sette, C. (2008). Phosphorylation of eIF4E by MNKs supports protein synthesis, cell cycle progression and proliferation in prostate cancer cells. Carcinogenesis 29, 2279-88.
- Paronetto, M.P., Achsel, T., Massiello, A., Chalfant, C.E., and Sette, C. (2007). The RNA-binding protein Sam68 modulates the alternative splicing of Bcl-x. Journal of Cell Biology 176, 929-39.
- Busà, R., Paronetto, M.P., Farini, D., Pierantozzi, E., Botti, F., Angelini, D.F., Attisani, F., Vespasiani, G., and Sette, C. (2007). The RNA-binding protein Sam68 contributes to proliferation and survival of human prostate cancer cells. Oncogene 26, 4372-82.
Lab contact: email@example.com